[Forum Pages] [File Area] [Faq] [Links] [Telnet BBS] [Mail Us]
These are the UNIX SYSTEMS USAGE RULES of BILKENT COMPUTER CENTER. They have nothing to do with this BBS. We have our own rules. In case of any problem within this BBS, our rules are applied. We put this here, since we are required to announce them.
1. Users are responsible for use of their accounts and user-ids. These should be used only for the stated purpose. Stated restrictions on the use of the account must be respected. For example:
3. Users must not attempt to find out passwords of other users by any means.
4. BCC computer facilities are not to be used for private monetary gain unless specifically authorized for such use.
5. Users must not browse, access, copy or change private files without authorization, or change public files without authorization.
6. Unauthorized access to restricted system data bases is forbidden.
7. Users must not attempt to modify the computer systems or software in any unauthorized manner. Any attempt to break system security is expressly forbidden.
8. The use of invasive software, such as "worms" and "viruses" destructive to computer systems, is illegal and forbidden.
9. BCC computing facilities are a valuable resource for University use and they should be conserved. Users must properly utilize these resources to minimize any unnecessary impact of their work on others. This includes:
10. Users must not use publicly accessible system directories for their private purposes. This includes the use of disk space reserved for system processes in such directories as /tmp, /usr/tmp.
11. Users must not change their full name as assigned to them when the account is first opened. This name identifies the person in all communications and must be the person's actual name.
12. Users of any electronic communication facilities, such as electronic mail, mailing lists, anonymous ftp, bulletin boards and includes the random mailing of messages; the sending or making accessible of obscene, harassing, or threatening material; or the use of the facilities for commercial or political purposes.
14. Hardware, software, manuals, supplies, etc., must not be removed from computer laboratories without proper authorization.
15. Abuse or misuse of any computer hardware or software and booting a unix machine without the notice of system operators are forbidden.
16. Viewing or using another person's computer files, programs or data without authorized permission is forbidden. This rule applies even when material appears to be legally unprotected.
17. Computer laboratories are provided so that users can do necessary course and project work. Therefore excessive messaging ( using talk, mail, etc. ) and navigating the Internet have lower priorities. The worst public effects of such usage are lack of free computers and traffic congestion on the network. Anyone observing such lower priority usage has the right to ask the user to leave the computer or to report the problem to the BCC people on duty.
18. BCC reserves the right to periodically check the system and any newsgroups, are obligated to comply with the restrictions stated. other rights necessary to protect the University computer facilities. BCC also reserves the right to change BCC Unix Systems usage rules.
In the following paragraphs penalties for the violations of BCC Unix Systems Usage Rules are defined.
BCC VERY MUCH APPRECIATES THE COOPERATION AND ATTENTION SHOWN BY ITS USERS IN USING THE FACILITIES PROPERLY AND FOR THE INTENDED PURPOSES.
Head, UNIX System Operations
Bilkent Computer Center
Phone : 0 (312) 266 4000/1344
Fax : 0 (312) 266 4126
Back to Top of Page